Kraljevica - History and Recreation
Kraljevica is an old small town in Primorje, located at the entrance to the Bakar Bay, around twenty kilometres south of Rijeka. It has an indented coastline with green and lush vegetation, so it is famous for its beaches and its beautiful promenade. During the summer, the two medieval castles and a church that are the legacy of the Croatian noble Zrinski and Frankopan families, are a venue for cultural and entertainment events and, together with the surrounding area, are a tourist destination for those who want a vacation, to swim, dive and, of course, to have fun and enjoy the cultural offer.
Kraljevica was mentioned in the 13th century as the place where the Hungarian King Bela IV took refuge from the onslaught of the Mongols in 1242, and it is known as an Austrian naval war base and the oldest shipyard on the Adriatic. The Sanctuary of St. Nicholas attracts religious people, especially seafarers who participate ever year in the maritime pilgrimage. Thanks to its geographic position, natural beauty and healthy climate, Kraljevica was one of the first health tourism centres, dating from the end of the last century and a crucial part of the touristic development of Kraljevica. It was on the Oštro peninsula where one of the first bathing resorts in Primorje was built, receiving prizes in 1894 in Vienna and 1896 in Budapest.
Among other things, the benefits of climate are an important reason for the tradition in health tourism, so in a description from the very beginning of the 20th century, the sea, air, sun and sand baths were mentioned and the influence of the bora wind on health was highlighted.